Written By: FA ME
according to the Department of Defense, the highest number of Al-Qaeda Emirs (leaders) are located in Mosul City. experts say that the 80% of the financial support that this terrorist organization gets is in Mosul city. and we raise the question, why Mosul but not any other city.
there are several reason why Mosul is consider a fertile land for Al-Qaeda members:
1) the dominant Sunni Muslim community allows spreading of Al-Qaeda’s ideology in the city,
2) Mosul city is famous of having the highest number of former Iraqi Army officers, and after disbanding the Iraqi Army by Paul Bremer, they have became jobless, and Al-Qaeda Organization needed the highly demanded experience of those officers to train the foreigners or the local young generation of Al-Qaeda’s affiliates.
3) the strategic location of Mosul compared to other city, puts it on a very easy way of delivering, exchanging, and trading weapons. Syria on the west, which Links Lebanon and Jordan all together, is one big source of fighters and weapons. Now, the situation in Syria inflames the fighters in Iraq, and the fighters are growing in the city, a safe haven is needed even for terrorists.
4) the large areas of Mosul makes it difficult to track Al-Qaeda’s fighters in there, with multiple hideouts and weapon storages.
5) the tribal atmosphere in Mosul is unlike the other Sunni tribes in other cities, such as Al-Anbar or Samarra. there had been no awakening movement in the city, which make the tribal association with Al-Qaeda an important ally.
despite all these important factors, the government’s corruption and disloyalty makes Al-Qaeda stronger in its tactics and sources of funds. there are some sources that claims that the funds that comes from Mosul city it doesn’t only reach fighters in Syria, but also in Afghanistan!
but in return, there are solutions for the plague, and based on the weaknesses of Al-Qaeda, that can easily be identified, the links of Al-Qaeda in Mosul is not any different from any strategy of Al-Qaeda around the world:
A) Misreading the situation in the middle east and the role of United States. they barely have a political vision in what could possibly happen tomorrow in the world, and they can’t anticipate political matters.
B) Expanding the war and bringing new enemies. they also under estimate the role of Kurdish Forces.
C) Alienating the Local Populace. including the secular citizens
D) indifference to Muslim Casualties. there are about 80% casualties of Muslims during any operation that Al-Qaeda conducts.
E) finally, the inability to reading the weaknesses of the local governments.
To BE Continued …….